Thursday 2 March 2023

Iconic Robespierre letter to be auctioned

The Versailles auction house Osenat announces an upcoming sale, "Royalty in Versailles", to take place on 12th March.  Among many noteworthy lots, is the original manuscript of Robespierre's famous letter of 5th February 1793 to Danton.

Robespierre offers his condolences of the death of Danton's wife and expresses his friendship and love "even unto death".


5 February 1793. If, in the troubles that can shake a soul like yours, the certainty of having a tender and devoted friend can offer you some consolation, I offer you this. I love you more than ever and unto death. In this moment, I am yourself. Do not close your heart to the accents of friendship that feel all your pain. Let us cry over our friends together, and let us soon show the effects of our deep sorrow to the tyrants who are the originators of our public misfortunes and our private misfortunes. My friend, I have sent you this letter from my heart to Belgium; I would have come to see you, if I had not respected the first moments of your just affliction. Embrace your friend.  Robespierre



No comments:

Post a Comment